Excessive Executive salaries
Wednesday 20 Jun 2012
While the ordinary domestic users have faced large increases (up to 57%) in their power and water bills, executive salaries in our power and water utilities (Western Power, Verve and Water Corp) have easily exceeded these increases.
The number of executives in the utilities who earned more than $150,000 per year has increased dramatically, in one case more than doubling, over the past three years.
- In 2008, Western Power had 101 staff earning more than $150k- this has increased to 228 staff earning more than $150k in 2011.
- WaterCorp had over 150 staff earning more than $150k in 2008 - this blew out to 226 staff earning more than $150 k in 2011.
- Verve had 175 staff earning more than $150k in 2008 - this has increased to 273 staff earning more than $150k in 2011.
It is also worth noting that:
- Synergy paid $18,400 for eight executives to attend a two-day leadership retreat at the Sebel hotel in Mandurah, and
- Verve paid over $80,000 for one of their managers to attend a Harvard business program in the USA.